Calling all budding photographers!
Our ‘Capturing Altrincham’ photography competition will raise funds for the Ukrainian humanitarian crisis
This spring and summer, we are bringing a community-wide, inclusive photography competition to the people of Altrincham, Bowdon and Hale.
We want to encourage our thriving community to get out and about and capture images of the wonderful area where we live, work and study. We plan to bring everyone together, encourage as many as possible to take part, and really celebrate everything about our stunning slice of South Manchester.
Anyone who enters is in with a chance of winning £750 for first place, £250 for second and dinner for two in a local restaurant for third place.
All ages are welcome, and the photo can be of anything, as long as it represents this area in some way — whether that’s the people, the natural environment, landmarks or local wildlife.
Any camera will do — even your phone. Just make sure it’s a good quality image, as we will print out and display blown-up versions of the final shortlisted images later in the year.
The shortlist will be displayed in a local exhibition, and the winning photographs will be revealed at a special event. The event will include a charity raffle and the chance to buy prints of the shortlisted images. All money raised will be donated to the DEC Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.
James, our managing director, is also an award-winning photographer. He is hoping that the competition will give him the opportunity to meet other keen local photographers and possibly share a few tips along the way.
How will it work and what do you need to know?
- May 1 – June 30. Email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alternatively, post to 58a Stamford New Rd, Altrincham, WA14 1EE
- Share pictures. Upload photos (a maximum of six per person) to Instagram tagging @maguirefamilylaw and @_jamesmaguire with the following #maguirefamilylaw #capturingaltrincham2022 #spring. (For those who do not use social media, do not worry, just send in the photos and they will still be entered into the competition)
- State your age. Photographers under 18 are very welcome to enter, but please seek permission from a parent or responsible adult
- Judging. A panel of local judges will spend time in July looking at all the entries and selecting the shortlist
- Shortlist announcement. In August, lookout for the shortlist announcement. This will be shared via social media and the local press
- Exhibition & Prize Giving. In September, come along to view the shortlist and hear the announcement of the winning three images, one from each category, on the grand opening night. The evening will include a charity raffle and the chance to buy the photography prints. All money raised will be donated to the DEC Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.
If you would like to get involved, to host a workshop or donate a prize, please get in touch at email@example.com
The full terms and conditions of the competition can be read below:
Winners will be announced during September. Maguire Family Law will contact the winners directly as soon as practical after the announcement date and the presentation event of the prizes. All winners will also be announced on Maguire Family Law’s Instagram and Facebook pages.
The competition will be governed by, and administered in accordance with, the above instructions and the terms and conditions below, so please read these carefully before entering the competition and submitting your photograph
Terms and Conditions
The Capturing Altrincham Photography Competition (The Competition) is owned and administered by Maguire Family Law of 58a Stamford New Road, Altrincham WA14 1EE (‘MFL’).
The entry instructions and details above form part of these terms and conditions (‘Rules’). By entering the Competition you accept the Rules and MFL reserves the right to exclude any entry from the Competition at any time and in its absolute discretion if MFL has reason to believe that the entrant has breached the Rules.
The Rules are governed by the laws of England and Wales and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales. The Rules constitute to the entire agreement between MFL and any entrant in relation to the Competition.
- Conditions of entry
- Employees of MFL and / or any immediate family members of such employees are not permitted to enter the Competition.
- Subject to clause 1.1, the Competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. Entry is free.
- All entrants under the age of 16 must gain parental or guardian permission before entering the Competition and by doing so confirm that they have such permission. It is the responsibility of each entrant (and the entrant’s parent or guardian) to ensure that they have read and will abide by the Rules.
- Entrants are not permitted to submit photographs that feature people, cultivated plants or animals kept in captivity or a restrained environment.
- A maximum of six entries per person is permitted.
- Prior to submission, entrants must not have offered their entries for sale, being paid for by any publication, won or been a runner up in any other photographic competition.
- Entrants must not have breached any applicable laws when taking photographs for the purposes of the Competition.
- Photograph specifications
- Photographs may be digitally enhanced to optimise the photograph. Aspects such as cropping, brightness, contrast and colour balance can all be adjusted but the content may not be manipulated. MFL and the judges reserve the right (in their absolute discretion) to exclude any photograph they believe may have been excessively treated to alter its authenticity.
- Intellectual property rights
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other parties. The entrant must be the sole owner of the copyright to any photographs entered.
- Entrants will retain copyright in the photographs that they submit to MFL for the purposes of the Competition. By entering the Competition all entrants grant to MFL the right to publish and exhibit their photographs on social media platforms and MFL’s website. Any entrant whose photograph is selected to appear in the final shortlist or as a finalist grants MFL the right to publish and exhibit their photographs in print, on its website or any other media. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses.
- While we will use reasonable efforts to credit photographers, including in printed reproductions of their work, we cannot guarantee that every publication of the photograph by, or on behalf of, MFL will include the photographers’ names.
- In connection with the use of your likeness in a photograph that you may submit to MFL’s Instagram, you consent to and license the use, reproduction, distribution, and public display of your likeness and the name relating to such photograph by MFL or anyone authorised on a worldwide basis in any manner or media in perpetuity. You hereby release MFL and its agents from any and all claims that relate to or arise from any use of your name and likeness as provided in this release.
- If you are a winner for the Competition, you agree to participate in reasonable post Competition publicity and that MFL may use your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity of the Competition.
- Data Protection
- The personal data of entrants will be managed by MFL in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- MFL will collect personal data about entrants (and the entrant’s parent / guardian where applicable) at the time of submission of each entry, and as is otherwise necessary to administer the Competition and all associated activity. By entering the Competition you agree that any personal information provided by you to MFL may be held and used by MFL and its agents to administer and publicise the Competition in accordance with these Rules.
- Entrants may contact MFL at any time to update their details and / or preferences regarding the use of their personal data.
6.1 In so far as is permitted by law, MFL and its agents accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered as a result of entering the Competition or accepting any prize. Nothing in these Rules shall exclude liability of MFL for death, personal injury, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation as a result of its negligence or for any duties imposed by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
- The winner chosen by the judges will win the following:
- 1st prize: £750
- 2nd prize: £250
- 3rd prize: voucher for a meal at a local restaurant to the value of £100
- MFL reserves the right (without liability) to substitute any prize with a prize of similar value. The prizes are non-transferrable. MFL and its agents will not accept any responsibility if you are not able to take up any prize.
- The winner chosen by the judges will win the following:
- Winner announcement and claiming the prizes
- In the event of a technical problem or evidence of impropriety, the judges will have the final decision and no correspondence can be entered into.
- MFL will make all reasonable efforts to contact the winners through the private messenger functions of Instagram. If a winner cannot be contacted or is not available or has not claimed any prize within 30 days of the announcement of the winners, MFL reserves the right to either offer the prize to a runner up or reoffer the prize in any future competitions.
- MFL reserves the right to cancel, void or suspend the Competition or alter any of the Rules at any stage, if deemed necessary in its reasonable opinion, or if circumstances arise outside of its control.