10 tips on how to safely celebrate Father’s Day during a global pandemic
Father’s Day can be a difficult time of year for separated parents. However, it is important to remember that it can also be difficult for the children, particularly if they have a strong bond with their Father, Step-Father, both Grandads etc – they can often feel divided loyalties.
Regardless of your family dynamic or circumstances, lockdown will inevitably throw some extra difficulties into the mix as some people may be shielding. Those families that would usually treat Dad to a meal out on Father’s Day will need to get creative this year and think of another way to celebrate.
We have therefore put together a list below of different ways that you could make your Father or father figure etc feel special this year, directly or indirectly:
- Go for a socially distanced walk or bike ride (hopefully the weather will improve for this one!)
- Organise a Zoom family quiz and base the questions on your favourite memories with your Dad over the years
- Arrange for your Dad’s favourite meal to be delivered to him and you, then enjoy it together over video chat as though you’ve gone out to his favourite restaurant
- Have a socially distanced BBQ in the garden (up to 6 people). You could put picnic blankets/ tables in each corner of the garden
- Play a game of virtual charades!
- Do an online wine / beer tasting event. We have spotted some being hosted by Laithwaites Wine here.
- Send a personalised gift, maybe a hamper of all of his favourite things for him to open on the day.
- Support local businesses! Maybe buy some cupcakes or sweet treats from your local bakery if your Dad has got a sweet tooth.
- Surprise him with a visit. If he’s shielding, then set up the camping chairs outside his window and have a good old catch up.
- Go to the zoo! The Chester Zoo #saveourzoo appeal pushed the government to open zoos from last Monday. There is a huge demand for tickets at the moment but why not look online to see if your local zoo has any availability!
We hope that you have a wonderful Father’s Day, whatever your circumstances, from all the team here at Maguire Family Law.